Thursday, April 19, 2012

Liberal narrative?

I've recently started reading a number of blogs again.  One of them is written by a very talented and well known writer who is typically a flaming liberal.  Yeah, he has a Ph.D. as well, why do you ask?

In a recent blog post he attacked the conservatives and Republicans (again) picking on a number of issues.  One of them was education.  He made a big deal about the fact that teen pregnancy in red states was much higher than in blue states.  I will certainly agree that there has been a failure in education.  However, like many liberals, he fails to consider the long term implications of his beliefs.  For all his yammering about evolution, he fails to take into consideration what is happening right now.  Liberals are a dying breed, the conservatives are just plain out-breeding them.  The liberal ideology is a losing strategy in the reproductive lottery.

I'm not happy about it either, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking the moral high ground is going to be successful in the long term.  Reality is what it is.

On a related note, I have objected to the small-minded attacks that some liberals have been making about Dick Cheney's heart transplant.  As much as I dislike the man and think American politics would be much better off without him involved, as a human being he still deserves a minimal level of compassion.  Dehumanizing those you disagree with has led to atrocities throughout history, I really don't want to see that happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment