Monday, April 30, 2012

Inclusive? Are you sure?

I've been chatting online with a Unitatian minister in the UK for a while now.  He is doing something very un-Unitarian in that he is very actively promoting the church.  I think this is a very good thing.

Unitarians tend to be very open on the subject of creed.  I know Christians, Jews, Atheist, Agnostics, Buddhists & Pagans who are members of various Unintarian-Universalist churches.  Now, he has made a point of saying that Heathens were welcome.  Since some of the heathens I know are Asatru, I'm wondering how welcome they would actually be.  You see, unlike most Pagan and Wiccan traditions, Asatru tend to have very old fashioned beliefs about gender roles. women should be in charge of hearth, home and family, and men should do the providing and protecting.  This is not going to sit well with the usual politically liberal narrative that most Unitarians follow.

In addition, this minister seems to be very intelligent and has deep technical knowledge from his previous career, but he lacks a lot of cultural awareness.  I was amazed to discover that he had no idea who Terry Pratchett is.  For someone who is working in a church in England that is dedicated to social change, not having read Terry Pratchett's social commentaries that are disguised as fantasy is a major failing.

I wish him well and hope I can actually help with the success of the church, but I think he needs to get out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment