Saturday, May 26, 2012

Those poor deluded fools

One of the professional organizations I'm a member of is currently having a rather drawn out discussion about coming up with a harassment policy for conferences and shows.  And, while they may try to sound egalitarian about how it applies to everyone, it's really about those "poor oppressed women" in who are being driven away from computing and other IT related careers by the hordes of obnoxious sexist males they encounter.  There is also a strong undertone that sexism, harassment and oppression have gotten a lot worse over the past few years.  Yeah, right.  The reality is that women are trapped into continuing to play the victim card by the liberal narrative that many geeks and nerds follow, since women aren't allowed to actually stand up for themselves.

So, how did this come about?  Well, geeks and nerds are typically not very socially adept, I know because I am one, so they tend to believe the stated rules of behaviour in our modern society.  Which, of course, are total bullshit.  Add to that the removal of social restrictions on female hypergamy even over the past decade or so, and fewer women than ever are willing to spend time around those sorts of "losers", when there's some hot bad boys they can be chasing after.  This leads to women making more and more excuses for their behaviour, and the geek brigade takes their words at face value, instead of seeing the truth.  And, as the demands from the women get shriller and shriller, the foolish nerds become even more obsequious.

It took me decades to get rid of the misconceptions I was raised with about gender relations, mostly because things weren't all that bad thirty years ago.  With the way things are going today, I wonder how long it will take for the younger generation to wise up.  I know that I am trying to move the process along, with a few small successes, but that by trying to understand both sides of the issues I have placed myself in no-man's-land and folks at either extreme are going to be taking shots at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment