Thursday, May 31, 2012

Visit to a local church

This past Sunday I visited a local Unitarian-Universalist church that I haven't been to for a couple of years.  Back then they were between permanent ministers, now they have had a new minister since August.  She's seems nice enough, but I suspect she is a raving feminist.  There was a guest in the pulpit this last Sunday, so I didn't get a feel for her sermons.  However, the service had some of the usual feminist touches, including substituting "She" for "He" when referring to God.

I think the one thing that annoyed me the most was the children's storytime (a common feature in UU churches).  The protagonist was a little girl (no surprise there) who repeatedly followed her urges in spite of being warned about the dangers who then gets off by being cute.  This is a really bad lesson to be promoting.  Choices have consequences, and the education in moral and ethical behaviour is one of the reason many parents take their children to church.  Telling little girls that they can get away with their misbehaviour is doing them (and the rest of society) a great disservice.

I find the Unitarian-Universalists churches to be interesting.  While they to be open and accepting of diversity, most of the time it's only a very narrow kind of diversity.  Not being politically liberal seems to be one of the kinds of diversity that they won't accept, even though the Universalists tended to be of a rather conservative bent.

I'm glad I went and I will drop back in from time to time, but it's obvious they don't want someone like me, except maybe for the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment